Tuesday, March 16, 2010

New love

So I read a book Hot House Flowers and the Nine Plants of Desire. It was a good read. It REALLY made me want to grow a house plant. I have this little cutting from "fluffy the cat plant" but it's just roots and one leaf. My mom has tons of it, the original died last year. Thank heavens for cuttings. But I want something more. Something more beautiful and more rewarding. So I decided I wanted an orchid. This type of orchid is super common and super easy. It's Phalaeonopsis. It's most likely the orchid in your local store, if it looks kinda like this. Also called Moth Orchid. Comes in a million colors.
Mine is white with the sweetest yellow "tongue" with some pink where the tongue connects to the other petals. I wanted white, some pinks and yellows drew me in, but I wanted white.

I especially love how she has this arch. This has to do with how you stake them. If they had used a longer stick and kept her straight she would do that. I love the graceful curve she shows too. Also my books (I got half the orchid books out of the library before getting her) encouraged me to pick one that had unopened buds, that means that I'm only at the start of this flower stalk's life, so I should have blooms for a while.

I even love her beautiful leaves. And I totally love this glass pot. It has some issues, watering is different, I have to be sure to drain out so she's not sitting in potting soup.
Well that's the latest here. Time change is HARD on Stephen and Ethan. They are exhausted, which means I'm exhausted.


No comments: