Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Eventful Year

Several things happened this year that I could have done without.

I'm making this list mostly because it's almost funny now. It was a weird year, but I still feel lucky and blessed.

So here goes with the the list of things Erin Could Have Done Without:
Giving Blood then fainting and almost dieing at the Ren Festival
Breaking my arm in the mountains at Gatlinburg and not getting it treated for 5 days.
Ripping my left toenail off (which happened in January and is just not healed)
Pneumonia... twice
Thinking my step-mom was going to die (she's ok now, thank God and The Clevland Clinic)
False pregnancy
Miscarriage (seperate from the false pregnancy)
Gained 20lbs. :(
Brian's change in work keeping him from getting home before 7 most nights. (And yes we ARE very thankful he has a job, I just miss him is all)
Air Conditioner for our house died and had to be replaced
Pool motor died and had to be replaced
AC in car died and had to be replaced
Door handles on car broke off (apparently this is not uncommon!) and had to be replaced

Not all of that was major. Some of it was horribly terrible. The thing is I never had a feeling of helplessness all year. I never felt like the terrible dark was going to eat me alive. My family is amazing. I have fantastic, supportive friends. This may have been a year filled with unfortunate events, but I've never been in a better place in my life.

I also this year:
Feel I did a good job magnifying my calling at church
Joined the choir which has been very fun and fulfilling
Had two aquantances move up to good friends
Had a good friend move up to rock solid best friend, you know the kind you know you will have forever.
Sent Stephen to school, knowing that I truly had valued and made the best out of the time I had him before school. Then found out that school was great and not an end to the special bond S and I have at all.
Grew closer to Ethan, who is painfully adorable.
Grew closer to Christ
Made several very lovely quilts.
Made hundreds of cards that were fun to make.
Got published several times.
Discovered the depth of the support my friends and church family have for me.
Probably more things I can't even think of.

All in all, it was an ok year. I'll try not to break anything next year though. I want to say I will get pregnant and have a great baby, but I'm afraid to hinge my happiness on something that I've learned I don't have that much control over. So I will say that I'll enjoy any and all children I have next year. Either these two perfect ones, or another as well. :)

No comments: